Monday, July 11, 2011

Big Black Book

It's official, I have my bound MFA Creative Thesis in hand. (Well, not actually in my hands at this moment, because I am typing.) But true, so true. I am an official graduate of a Master's program with a completed thesis. Boy, does it feel good--knowing that I wrote all of those words, created sentences, and followed through with organization. Yes, I am having a moment. I birthed a book!

To celebrate such an accomplishment, how about some inspiration from Mark Twain? I know I can't get enough of his spunk.

"The true Southern watermelon is a boon apart and not to be mentioned with commoner things...king by grace of God over all the fruits of the earth...It was not a Southern watermelon that Eve took...we know because she repented." -from Puddn'head Wilson

In reflection of being a steamboat pilot Twain wrote, "In that brief, sharp schooling I got personally and familiarly acquainted with all the different types of human nature that are to be found in fiction, biography, or history. When I find a well drawn character in fiction or biography, I generally take a warm personal interest in him, for the reason that I have known him before--met him on the river." - from Life on the Mississippi

My favorite quote by Twain I found taped to the outside of a professor's door. It read, "Cauliflower is just cabbage with a degree."

What a great perspective! I may be cauliflower, but in the garden of life I still am a cabbage--bound creative thesis and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment