Friday, January 27, 2012

My Mother, Music, and Literature

My Mom is here for a visit. She travelled from the Midwest to come and chat. I am treating her to East Tennessee State University's "Powell Piano Series" tonight.

Here is the concert information by the compliments of the Department of Music:
"Russian-born Israeli pianist and composer Yoni Levyatov, winner of the 2011 International Russian Music Competition, will make his ETSU debut in the Powell Piano Series.

Described by the New York Times as playing with "an appealing electricity," Levyatov is also the recipient of the Harold Bauer Award, Dorothy McKenzie Artist Recognition Award, Silver Medal at the International Bosendorfer Piano Competition, as well as Clairmont PRize in Tel Aviv. Recent appearances have included performances at Steinway Hall in New York; Menora Hall in Manchester, England; Philharmonic Hall in St. Petersburg, Russia; Spiegelsaal in Rheinsberg, Germany; Auditorium de Cajacanarias in Tenerife, Spain; Jerusalem Music Center and the Tel Aviv Museum of Arts."

Also, I am sending my copy of the memoir Circling My Mother home with Mother. It has taken me some time to decide to depart with it. I wouldn't have found this memoir if my mentor Professor Tekulve hadn't recommended it. Further, I wouldn't have studied under the tutelage of Professor Tekulve and Wakefield if it hadn't been for the low-residency MFA writing program at Converse College.

Great programs, teachers, and mothers are priceless.

1 comment:

  1. whoah this blog is wonderful i really like studying your articles. Stay up the great paintings! You realize, lots of people are searching around for this information, you can help them greatly.
    Sorel Women's Helen Of Tundra Boot

    ReplyDelete